Saturday, May 3, 2014

Sowing the seeds of Hatred in Dalit Minds !!!! - A First Hand Account

My intimate experience with Dalits are limited. But from  the age of  about 12 years to around 18 years, I had seen my father in his middle forties interacting with Dalit Christians (from the Pulaya community) frequently, necessitated by agriculture. I am sure this has continued from his father’s time (my grand-father), and before I had been born, one Dalit Christian family from my grandfather’s time  had been tenants on our land. I had heard  it from my father’s side that they had a hut in the corner of the land. But  a law favouring the landless tenants paved the way (forced ?) to buy a plot of land (5 cents) for this family, and they were thus relocated  to  their own land and tiled roof house  less than a kilometer away.

After partitioning  of land between siblings, my father got an acre(100 cents) of paddy field, and this land was within the municipal limits. All the landholders around were only having the same extent of land and those having more than  five acres were non-existent. And each holder had close contact with  one Dalit Christian family , with that family head as ‘Kaval-karan” (care-taker)of the agricultural land. After  sowing, during re-planting of the shoots , during harvesting  or any occasion when more hands are needed he used to organize  members from the Dalit families around him. Otherwise he and his family handled all the agricultural works almost six to eight months in a year and  daily wages were paid , in addition to food.(two times with black coffee in between). During the lean months when work was not  needed consecutively for more than seven to ten days, for his needs I had seen him approaching my father, and without any reluctance my father shared what was possible. Looking back and thinking about the interactions, I am aware that a organic relationship existed between them, though the surrounding environment had started vitiating with Marxisim and trade-unionism.  I also think that the land-lord and tenant were each in his own world, and the interactions between them necessitated by the needs of both were peaceful and cordial. There was an invisible bonding between them.

I used to go to the field during the time of re-planting and sowing, and there is one Dalit woman in my vivid child-hood memories. She was in her middle thirties at that time, married and with three children and my memories connected with her is due to her singing during the time of field labour. Her name is Thanka.

When I joined  for Pre-Degree (around 16 yrs) , all farming activities ceased. Buying rice and milk became cheaper and convenient than the efforts and money spent for paddy cultivation and cattle rearing. Within a few years, our contact with the Kaval-karan of our land, which used to be regular and almost on a daily basis became few and widely spaced. Thereafter we used to see them very rarely, mostly on festival occasions like Christmas, Onam or Vishu. Nowadays all contact is lost  between the new generations.

The  agricultural labourers, mostly belonging to the Dalit community took to other vocations, mostly modern. Thanka, the dalit woman I had mentioned earlier, took to selling fish. Thus she used to visit our house hold occassionally. Needless to say, the warmth in regards/relationship of these familiar people, (shall I say old-guard) was palpable.

After 18 years, I had never been in my native place constantly for more than six months. Thereafter I got employed and finally had settled in Chennai. During this time my father expired, and mother was with me and my visits to native place became few and far.

Between 2009-2011,  I used to visit my hometown often. My fathers’s younger brother stays adjacent to the  family property I inherited. During one  visit, he informed  that Thanka, now in her middle sixties wished to see me and had enquired with him.

Thus she came to see me. She climbed the steps of the verandah and sat on the half-wall, and motioned to  me to take the chair opposite to her. During my father’s  time, they used to stand in the courtyard outside the half-wall. She addressed me in my pet name, which she had used when I was a boy. She said she had come to ask donation for  the church building. The  church building, used by the small Dalit congregation, she informed me was in a dilapidated condition. I donated her money, for which she gave me a printed receipt.

Thereafter  our conversation  drifted to old reminiscences, which were pleasant for us both. But when the conversation drifted to the present, I could sense rancour in her words. Cultivation in large swathes of  paddy fields within  and around the  municipal limit terminated and were lying fallow from 1980-82 onwards.  Most of the Dalit families who were traditionally dependent on these lands, as agricultural labourers were forced to go in search of other work.  By this time the extensive use of fertilizers and pesticides used in these fields, had made many of them diseased. Alchoholism  became rampant. There was thus total disruption in their way of life & work.

When it came to the talk of   the new church building, her anger burst out. Dalit Christians she said were never treated  on par by other Christian denominations. Social intercourse like marriage or even interdining  or atleast  common worship  (within the same church building/congregation) were TOTALLY absent with other Christian sects.  She felt that this whole society from historical time  continues to exploit them and have let them down.

What she explained to  me next surprised and shocked me.!!! She informed me that she knew History and asked me whether I knew the etymological origin and meaning of the word ‘Pulaya’ (male) & “Pulakalli” (female). Pulaya is the name of the Dalit community to which she belongs.

She told me that the word Pulakkalli is comprises of two parts. The first  part according to her is the word  Pular, that means early morning. The second part is the word ‘kani’, meaning the first object or person that you see, as soon as you wake up in the morning. If one is seeing an auspicious object or person, the day will pass-off  favourably. Malayalees used to keep ‘Vishu-kani’, on the first day of the Malayalam New-Year.

After providing the etymological roots of the word ‘Pulakkalli’, she proceeded to draw up the connections. She told that in the pre-modern past, the Pulayas used to live in a corner of the land owned by the ‘janmi’ (land-lord) , and it is their (Pulaya women) first duty in the morning to clean the front-courtyard of dry leaves and other materials that  makes it untidy. In those days in Travancore, women especially those belonging to disadvantaged castes never used to cover their breasts.  So these Pulaya woman/women are required to bare their bare breasts standing upright, facing the front-door of the  house, on the crack of daylight , the instant when they hear it being opened. The land-lord had imposed on them this duty DAILY, so that when he opens the front door and peers out, he is able to see the most auspicious sight of the bare breasts of these Dalit women. She narrated this story with undertones of  lascivious behavior and sexual exploitation by landlords and Dalit women being sex-slaves of the Hindu landlords.

Those who would have tutored her to hate this land and its customs  & traditions, would not have anticipated  the questions that I posed to her. Since she was married and had three children it was quite easy to put across the idea to her. I just asked her to recollect her experience of male human sexuality. I just asked her whether her husband in the prime of their life had only  lust and sex in his mind. 24x7 does a man think of only sex !!!!.  Moreover has she ever spared any thought regarding  the land-lords family members. Wouldn’t he be having in his house teenage sons, grown up sons, daughters, daughters-in-law, wife, aged mother, father etc. Will any family man dare to exhibit  such unrighteous conduct, setting a degrading example  before his kith and kin. It should also be kept in mind that matriarchy was prevalent in Kerala, with the matriarch as the head of the house-hold.

She  became speechless, considering what I had told her. I just told her whoever is behind this venomous story being projected as ‘History” is trying their level best to create hatred between the Dalits and other communities. In a very personal way, animosity/hatred  between her children and my children. The intensity of this hatred of her children or succeeding generations  will be very severe because of the element of sexual exploitation and attack on the modesty/chastity of  their mothers. They will try to retaliate in the same coin.

Fortunately  at that time I had an authentic Malayalam Dictionary , ‘Shabda-tharavali’ with me , which I had bought to  take with me to Chennai. Together we looked up the meaning of the word Pulayan & Pulakkalli in it. The word Pulayan means one who works on the land. Pulam has the meaning land, field etc.Pulakalli is the female noun of Pulayan.

She then demanded that the Dictionary costing Rs.800/-  be given to her. She wanted to show it to those who had given her coaching in History. I agreed on condition that it be returned  during my next visit a few months later. I could not elicit any information from her as to her tutors.  I could only speculate about them- Marxists !!??, Ambedkarites !!!???, New Age Evangelists !!??? New Age Christian Faith Groups !!!???Other evil influences stalking our land !!???( I believe that traditional Christians in Kerala will not stoop down to such low levels in the indoctrination of hatred.)  Who is likely to benefit from the alienation of the Dalits !!??

Why did I narrate this experience of mine ? I feel that there are concerted  behavior   from various quarters, some committed unwittingly, some done deliberately to create cleavage between communities. It is desired earnestly by modernity and associated commercial  interests that traditional equilibrium be broken and the society turns violent. A violent society provides huge business opportunities  and huge/quick  profits . As of today’s position  USA will then intervene and put its puppet govt and then bleed the country white. In the process all the goodness of a society will be lost. 

As far as I can recollect , I had never seen my father or his siblings(two are alive) speaking badly about, deprecatingly   or having any sort of animus to the Dalit community, even to this day.(To this day because ,both are not bound together (at present) in the practice of agriculture). Even though, occasionally  there were discontent  on the quantum of work completed, never wages were compromised or any harsh conditions of work (like modern time/motion study)  imposed on the agricultural labourers. Nor were any discrimination practiced , Dalits  vis-à-vis  labourers belonging to other communities. Nor  was there much difference between the material conditions of the land-lords  vis-a-vis labourers. The inequality in wealth was mostly restricted to the ownership of land.

I am puzzled when reading reports about the atrocities and violence between communities and Dalits vis-à-vis non-Dalits.  What could have gone wrong ? Did the moderns who are at the helm of  authority, newspapers and other agencies understand the problem clearly.?  Has modernity infused  the undesirable value of limitless and unrestrained material ambition  across all sections  of  people, which may be the root cause of violence !!??Are  the disturbance & violence  the handi-work of malcontents, which you can find in all sections of the society and at all periods in time !!??


Has the  modern world really contributed  in producing better human beings !!!??? Think about this. Meanwhile let us not talk disdainfully about our  ancestors and the Caste system !!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment